This book is the culmination of years of work of a team of topical experts around the world, with extensive experience in environmental and social risk management.
- Provides a single, cited reference source that distills and summarizes hundreds of pages of information and guidance about the IFC Standards into one convenient guidebook.
- Analyzes each of the eight IFC Standards, their requirements and enforcement mechanisms, and how they relate to state, provincial or local laws.
- Covers related topics including human rights, stakeholder engagement, the World Bank anti-corruption framework, the Equator Principles, and the use of the IFC Standards in investment decision making.
- Offers unique insights from legal practitioners with expertise in the topics covered by the IFC Standards.
- In-depth analysis of the IFC Standards written by a global team of legal and topical experts.
- Essential guidance for legal, finance, operations, environmental and social risk management personnel, who can benefit from the analysis provided in the guidebook.
- Helpful charts and appendices are created to assist readers in visualizing certain concepts and guidelines.
- Practical case studies help readers understand the real-world application of the IFC Standards.
- Lawyers can help their clients conform to the IFC Standards, particularly in relation to international corporate matters, environmental, health and safety, labour, human rights, anti-corruption, Aboriginal and Indigenous relations, international trade, and international trade dispute resolution.
- In-house counsel can help their employers manage risk, meet the IFC Standards, and apply for funding from the IFC.
- Risk management practitioners in international businesses involved in foreign direct investment, particularly mining, oil and gas, infrastructure, engineering, financial and banking sectors, can benefit from the analysis contained in this book.
- Investment managers can better understand and implement the IFC Standards for risk mitigation in investment decision making.
- Sustainability advisory practices and environmental engineering consultancies can advise their clients about the IFC Standards, and help them comply with those standards.